ACTUARIAL WORK EXPERIENCE
Towers Watson, Pension and Funding Valuation
Actuarial Intern June 2012 – August 2012
• For a “mock” client and later for a “real-world” client, reviewed benefit statements, performed benefit
calculations, produced Expense Valuation report and Funding Valuation report.
• Worked alongside consultants and analysts on project teams, analyzing data, running valuation reports,
processing cost components, filing government forms, and creating final documents given to clients.
• Performed research and created multiple presentations presented to clients by consultants.
RELEVANT COURSE WORK
• Calculus, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Transition to Higher Math (2yrs)
• One year of calculus-based Probability and Mathematical Statistics
• Applied Statistics: Times Series(VEE), Regression Analysis(VEE), SAS, Data Mining
• Applied Stochastic Processes
• Actuarial and Finance: Math Finance, Fixed Income Markets, Actuarial Statistics, Risk Theory
• Economics: Micro and Macro (VEE), Financial Management (VEE)
• Computer Science: two programming courses
COMPUTER SKILLS/DATA ANALYSIS PROJECTS/RESEARCH EXPERIENCE
• Computer Languages/Packages: Python, C, JAVA, SAS, and R..
• Experience with Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint.
• Time Series Class project: Analysis of 10 years of airline sales data and prediction of future sales.
• Research Project class (graduate level): Predictive Modeling in Healthcare Using Regression
Techniques (team project). Using data from an insurance provider, investigated healthcare expenditures
and applied variable selection to produce models for predicting the cost that insurers will spend on
covered members. Statistical techniques such as data transformation, linear regression, and least angle
regression were used to develop the models. Software: R.
• UCSB Honors student
• Alpha Phi Omega Leadership Award 2009-2010
• UCSB Actuarial Club: Member, October 2009-present; Treasurer, May 2012-present
• President of Alpha Phi Omega - Community Service Organization 2010– 2012
• Enjoy hiking, swimming and listening to music
• English (fluent), Spanish (intermediate), and Japanese (basic)