FORMS FOR GUARDIANSHIP OF A MINOR
Forms must be filled out completely. All ORIGINAL forms get mailed to the Court; keep copies for your own record.
1. Explanation of Guardianship with commonly asked questions and answers.
2. Petition for Appointment of Guardian of a Minor- This petition is filed by someone other than the parent of the minor.
The filing fee is $150.00 (per child). In order to begin the guardianship process you will need to deliver (by mail or in person)
the completed petition and Minor Guardianship Social History (see 3 below) to the Court along with your filing fee. If you
mail the paperwork, please give the Court two-three days to receive and process your petition.
3. Minor Guardianship Social History Form- Complete this form, both pages.
4. Notice of Hearing- Call 616-786-4110 to obtain a date and time for your Court hearing. Complete as much of the form as
you are able, the rest of the information will be given to you by the Court when you call (date/time/file number).
5. Proof of Service- This form tells the Judge that you sent copies of the Petition to Appoint Guardian and Notice of Hearing to
all interested parties. Interested parties include but may not be limited to the following:
a. Parents of the minor.
b. The minor of whom you are seeking guardianship if age 14 or older.
c. If known, any person named power of attorney or attorney in fact for the minor.
d. The nominated guardian or current guardian if already appointed.
e. Any government agency paying benefits in care of the minor or for which an application may be pending.
Complete the proof of service by filling in the names and addresses of each person served under the appropriate heading; by regular
mail or in person and include the date the service was made. The Court requires that all interested persons be served the required
documents no less than 14 days prior to the scheduled hearing if serving by regular mail and no less than 7 days before the
scheduled hearing if serving by hand (in person). Don’t forget to sign and date the bottom of the form.
*******STOP PLEASE READ*******
You must make every effort to obtain addresses for the people you are required to serve, if you do not know an address you
must do the following:
9 Check the phone book
9 Complete an internet search, if possible
9 Contact the Friend of the Court office for a last known address they may have on file
9 Contact any known family members of the person in order to obtain a last known address
Please make all necessary copies of your petition and notice of hearing (including one for yourself and one for each interested
party) *ALL ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS NEED TO BE MAILED OR PERSONALLY DELIVERED TO THE COURT
6. Acceptance of Appointment- This is signed by the proposed guardian(s); this lets the Court know that the person accepts the
guardianship and its responsibilities.
COURT STAFF IS PROHIBITED BY LAW FROM GIVING LEGAL ADVICE, IF YOU HAVE ANY
LEGAL QUESTIONS DURING THIS PROCESS PLEASE CONTACT AN ATTORNEY
Ottawa County Probate Court Hours: Mon-Fri 8:00 AM- 5:00 PM
12120 Fillmore Street Phone: 616-786-4110
West Olive MI 49460 Website: www.miottawa.org