4984 WELLBROOK DRIVE • NEW PORT RICHEY • FLORIDA • 34653
Laser/Precision Optics Engineer, with over 30 years of experience in developing and implementing process-engineering
initiatives in support of key business strategies. Possess a unique ability to determine a client’s engineering requirements,
propose an optimal approach matching the company’s capabilities, and convey complex engineering issues to technicians
in an understandable manner. Technical background includes: optical physics, manufacturing and metrology methods,
custom applications engineering, polarization, lens design, system design, quality assurance procedures/management, and
technical sales support. Created and implemented an entire quality assurance system consistent with established
standards (including ISO 9001), encompassing traceable calibration, documented methods, and continuous improvement
while assuring conformance to customer requirements. Additional strengths include:
• Entrusted by senior management with writing, implementing and managing all aspects of a quality system that
achieved the rating “best ever seen for a company of this size” by Agilent.
• Wrote and taught a comprehensive 6-month apprenticeship program for opticians, designed to raise the skill level of
40 new-hires to the skill level of 5-10 year veterans.
• Successfully trained 160 employees in shop math skills, quality methods, and team problem-solving techniques,
resulting in a documented 50% price reduction for non-conformance.
• Developed and managed an ongoing document-control system encompassing over 50,000 prints. The group
maintained a zero released-error rate.
• Designed and built a technician-friendly instrument for measuring free spectral range of etalons to much less than 1
ppm; and a technician-friendly instrument for measuring retardance of waveplates to better than 50 ppm.
• Invented an interferometer configuration designed to predict infrared transmitted wavefront of thin, opaque plates
using simultaneous visible light reflections from opposite sides.
• Created and implemented a batch cleaning system capable of preparing 2,000 laser mirrors for thin-film coating in a
• Designed machine and developed deterministic process for polishing 457 mm Φ NaCl windows to λ/10.
• Composed and formatted all text for general catalog that subsequently won an Excellence Award from the Society for
• Achieved proficiency in hands-on experience with full complement of shop machinery and M&TI, creating optics
ranging from micro to massive, plano to high-order aspheric, UV to IR, as well as spanning telecom to high power.
Materials include a variety of crystals, metals and glasses.
• Conceived in the late 1980’s, a gas-cooled high-power laser output coupler that subsequently won an “R&D100
award.” This award from R&D Magazine honors the most outstanding new technologies, processes, materials, and
software with commercial potential.